Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back in the saddle

On Oct. 27, 2010 I tore my Achilles tendon. I think I may have mentioned that once or twice. I tore it playing squash on the first regular match of the season. I was really mad because it meant that I was sidelined the whole season. I was playing doubles with my new partner, Sally. She was kind enough to sign up to be my right wall (I play left). So, my injury left her without a partner, and she was therefore sidelined, too.  She had to substitute to get any play. I felt guilty about it all season. 

Anyway, tonight Sally and I got back on the court. It's been 4 1/2 months, and she told me it was time. She promised me that we wouldn't run hard or chase after the ball  - we would just hit the ball back and forth to each other. I was really tentative. My leg feels almost normal, but my brain is on alert, and I was really nervous to move fast or to jump or even plant my foot down hard (as I often do). But, Sally is a real pal. We started off easy, and she went into teacher mode. By the time Sally had finished her lesson, 45 minutes had passed and we were both sweating. It felt GREAT! I have MISSED playing so much. I have missed Sally!
PS - If  you are interested in playing squash in the Buffalo area please visit the Buffalo Squash Racquet Association's (BSRA) Facebook page.

As we left the court she instructed me to ice the leg and take an Advil to decrease the inflammation.  So, I'm sitting her with an ice bag on my lower leg and a glass of white wine. (I'll take the Advil at bed.)

Writing this blog has forced me to become more contemplative. And, I believe it's a good thing to take stock on a regular basis; to examine your blessings, your good fortune and your path.  Tonight, I am thankful for my friend, Sally. She is someone I've known for a very long time but really only on the squash court. She's a competitor and a mentor, and she's become a good friend. I am fortunate to have so many good girl friends, and they all bring different gifts. If you have a friend like Sally, please take the time to tell him/her what he/she means to you. We take so much for granted, and  friendships, in all their forms, should be cherished and nourished. Say "thank you" to your friends.

Of course, my best friend in the world is Bill.  I try to remember to thank him for all the things he brings but, like a lot of spouses, I don't say it enough. So, THANK YOU, Bill and  P.S.: tonight's dinner was scrumptious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment