Monday, March 28, 2011

Our bodies, Ourselves

Maybe it's my age, but it seems to me that I know an awful lot of people who are spending time in the hospital.

My friend, Pat, is home recovering from an operation she had last week. Unbelievably, they sent her home THE DAY AFTER the operation. How is that even possible? (Hey Pat! If you're reading - we miss you at cards.) My friend, Tom, has a wife who is facing her second bout with cancer. She's tough as nails, and I know she will stare this mother down. But, really? Once wasn't enough? I have a bunch of 'athletic' type friends who are having knee/hip/shoulder replacement or surgery. My friend Barbara posited this question: What did people do BEFORE they had joint replacement surgery? Were there really thousands of people limping around in pain? Or is this generation just not willing to put up with the inconvenience?

My trainer, Dan, sent me a link to an article which explained that if you are unlucky enough to have a sedentary job, you have basically signed your own death warrant. It doesn't matter if you carve out 30 minutes a day for aerobics, if you spend the rest of your day at desk, your body will rebel. Is this the reason we are having issues with our bodies? We spend too much time on our butts.

My squash partner tonight advised me "Advil before the game and Advil after the game". You know you're going to be sore. (I AM!) I was late getting home for dinner tonight because of the aforementioned game - I had an extra long hot shower and a stint in the sauna where I massaged my calves.

As I lowered myself into my chair at dinner tonight, Bill gave me a look: "DON'T GIVE IN TO YOUR AGE". I don't intend to. I hate to take medication - it goes against the grain. But, tonight I took an Aleve to numb my aches. And a healthy glass of Cotes du Rhone - that helps, too.

I hate getting old if it means that my body is no longer in my corner. I feel betrayed. But, I guess when you're fifty it's just something you have to accept. Bill, at 59.8 years keeps on rocking. He doesn't act his age or complain about his aches and pains. It occurred to me today that he spends very little time sitting down (thereby giving some credence to Dan's article) and has more energy than any person I know. After 25 years with him, I still don't get it. Why has his aging process slowed down? Another Bill mystery and another reason to stick around and see if I can figure him out.

1 comment:

  1. There really were thousands of people limping around in pain. Or dead (and therefore not limping around.) We lose track of what old used to be, because we don't feel old. We don't feel old because we know more about how to take care of ourselves. Think about the old people we grew up around-- they weren't that old, they were just broken down.

    ReplyDelete