Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Twelve Step Program

The first step in taking back control of your life is admitting you have an addiction. The recent crazed antics of Charlie Sheen have made me do a little self-examination, too. While I am not addicted to alcohol or drugs, I do have an addiction to word games: the NY Times Crosswords on Sundays and Scrabble and Words with Friends on my iPhone. Hey! At least my children are not at risk and I haven't threatened to cut off Bill's head and send it to him in a box.

The iPhone allows me to satisfy my cravings so easily. Not only can I play Words with Friends with friends, but also with complete strangers!  All you have to do is press the screen and a game will automatically be created with someone halfway across the world. Brings new meaning to the old AT&T phrase "reach out and touch someone". 

I use my iPhone as my alarm in the morning. When it goes off, I check my Words with Friends to see if any of my global competitors took a turn between midnight and 7 a.m. That action, reaching for the phone as soon as I wake up, reminds me of my dad, a HORRIBLE cigarette smoker, who would light one up as he got out of bed.

Hint #1 - if it's the first thing you reach for in the morning, you may have an addiction.

Hint #2 - When Bill sees me with my iPhone up to my face, he asks "Scrabble"? Nine times out of ten I will lie and tell him I'm checking email.  I don't want to appear as if I'm not productive 100% of my life. Lying to cover up an addiction is a bad sign.

Hint #3 - If I don't complete the NY Times Crossword on Sunday I save the magazine, keeping it in a special place.  Having a stash makes me feel better - that sounds bad, too, doesn't it?

So let's recap:  I have a new set of friends that I haven't introduced to my family, I have an uncontrollable desire to play as soon as I wake, I'm lying about it and I have secret stashes.

 I have a problem.

I think this blog may be the first step of my twelve step program. Luckily, I can count on the support of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment